Last Sunday a very special person and I cooked for very special people…
The thing is, that night I was more like the assistant and unfortunately I was too distracted to take clear pictures and write the measurements, so out of the several yummy things we cooked I can only share with you my Gazpacho recipe!
Ingredients (recipe for 6 yummy tummies):
For the Gazpacho
- 1 KG of tomatoes without the seeds. (whatever you have at home is OK. It’s preferable though if they are ripe. I like mixing tomatoes. Last Sunday I used some cherry tomatoes, some of the dark tomatoes and some “normal” one)
- 4 to 5 crust-less sandwich breads (pain de mie).
- 2 garlic gloves
- 2 small cucumbers peeled (or 1 medium size)
- 1 small green pepper without the seeds (or half a medium sized pepper)
- 1 teaspoon of sherry vinegar (Vinaigre de Xeres)
- 2 teaspoons of red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of cold water (+more for soaking the bread)
- 2 teaspoons of Salt
- ground pepper
For the Toppings:
- Olive oil
- green onions (cut in small pieces)
- cucumbers (Typically it should be cut in cubes, I like to cut them in thin long circle slices)
- Tomatoes (Typically it should be cut in small cubes)
- Rustic bread cut in cubes and grilled
- Optional and for fun: strawberries, watermelon, shrimps, fresh crab, avocado, and anything your imagination tells you)
- Salt and Pepper
For the Gazpacho
- Cut the sandwich bread in cubes and let is soak in cold water for about 15 minutes.
- Then squeeze to remove the extra water.
- In a small saucepan, put the garlic gloves and cover with water and bring to boil. (5 minutes)
- In a blender: Transfer the garlic to the blender, blend. Add the soaked bread, the salt, the tomatoes, cucumbers and green pepper. Blend.
- Add the vinegars while the blender is still running. Then the oil slowly. Then the ground pepper.
- Optional (I do it even though it is rarely recommended): For a smooth texture I like pouring the mixture in a sieve (on top of a big bowl). This way, the liquid gazpacho will the retrieved and the puree texture will remain in the sieve. Then mix both the liquid and puree in the blender for a smooth texture.
- Refrigerate the gazpacho for at least 3 hours.
For the toppings:
- Some people like frying the bread crumbs (like croutons). I just grill whatever bread is left at home.
Propose the gazpacho to your friends, with olive oil, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, bread, salt and pepper… They will enjoy making their own!