“For my sunshine…. hope you bake it someday and think of me!”
That’s the only phrase that proceeded the recipe I am about to give you…
It’s a recipe that was given to me by a woman I absolutely love… her adorable mother gave her this recipe once while we were in Paris. Back then, our Jordanian friend was single and mingling, Clau was not so addicted to running and I was working on my Spanish… (3 years later we definitely improved substantially…) So Clau sent me the recipe exactly like her mom had sent it to her: in Spanish and with the little nice words moms include at the end of emails….
How to cook Mama Monroy’s Apple Cake?
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 8 oz of fat free cream cheese (I promise you fat free here tastes better than full fat)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt (one pinch)
- 2 TBSP of cinnamon
- 3 cups of chopped and peeled apples (Clau called them Rome apples, for the more ignorant like me: red apples is enough )
- Preheat the oven at 180 C
- Mix the 1/4 sugar with the cinnamon and put aside
- Chop and peel the apples and mix them with the sugar+cinnamon mix
- Beat the butter + sugar (1 1/2cups). Then add the cream cheese, then eggs
- Whisk together and sift the vanilla + flour + salt + baking powder
- Add the flour mix to the previous (butter mix) and beat until well combined. Do not over mix!
- Add the apples and mix slowly with a spoon
- add butter on the mold, then add in the mold the sugar + cinnamon mix
- Poor the whole mix in a non-stick pan and add at the end on top the rest of the sugar + cinnamon mix
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean… Sharhira was kind enough to write back saying with her it needed a bit more, so please be patient enough with your ovens, and remember the clean toothpick is as old as the oven but is still best meter… =) thank you Shahira
Keep in mind it originally is for 6 to 8 people, but don’t be surprised if 3 women finish the cake in 30minutes….
“Luck” (And by this I think mama Monroy meant it in everything we do)
Enjoy your yummy tummies…