Yesterday as I was doing my crunches, abs and squats, my sports buddies and I started talking about food, food and again food, enough food-talk that we almost convinced our trainer he should have a whole chocolate cake for diner.
So, to all my food-sports friends, I share my sweet-tart recipe today…
Ingredients for the Dough – I use a “Pate sablee” for the tart, I love its texture:
- 450 g of butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 800 g of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
Ingredients for the “Creme Patissiere” (“custard”)- I don’t like to have a lot of cream on my tart. If you do, double these portions:
- 3egg yolk
- 50 g of sugar
- 20 g of flour
- 25 cl of milk
- vanilla stick
Procedures for the Dough:
- Mix the butter with the sugar.
- Sift the flour then add it to the mix.
- Then the egg (with a pinch of salt on top of the egg).
- Then the vanilla.
- Mix them well with a dough blender or with your hand.
- Shape into flattened disk, wrap in plastic foil and refrigerate for an hour.
- Your dough is ready to be used! =)
Procedures for the “Creme Patissiere”:
- Mix on a medium speed egg yolk + sugar until the mix becomes a bit white (more or less 3 minutes)
- Sift the slower and Slowly add it to the surface of the mix. Do not mix
- Boil the milk with the vanilla stick. The vanilla stick has to be open and cut in the length of the stick, so as to permit the vanilla taste (and the little vanilla black dots) to get incorporated into the milk.
- Once the milk is boiling, remove the stick and add the hot milk to the mix. Mix with a wooden spoon until you get a homogeneous texture.
- Pour back the mix in the warm pot and mix it slowly from time to time on a low fire. The mix will slowly start getting a thicker texture. Turn the fire of when the cream had reached the texture you like. I personally like it a bit soft, but most people like it when it has a puree-like texture.
- You can also add to the cream extra vanilla or coffee extract if you wish.
- It can be refrigerated for 24 hours. But if you wish to do so, you should put a bit of butter on top of the mix while it is still warm to avoid having a thick yellow layer on top of it. You can do this with a piece of butter at the end of s fork and just rub the top of the cream.
- Preheat the oven at 180 C
- Butter the tart-pan and add flour to avoid having a sticky pan.
- Flatten the dough and slowly put it on the pan. Make sure it is flat and all levels are equal. Press the dough firmly firmly into the corner and cut the extra dough going out of the corners.
- With a fork prick the dough all over.
- Bake for 25-30minute or until the crust has reach a golden color.
- Let it cool completely
- Then add the “creme patissiere”. I put very little cream. If you are of those who like to have more of it you can double the portions.
- Add whatever fruits you have at home. Mangos, Strawberries, any kind of berries, peaches, etc… You can also add almonds, pistachios or mint to decorate.
- Enjoy with those you love